Err Connection Timed Out is a very common problem for those who are using Google Chrome browser. Internet speaks that connection timed out error is frequent while accessing the websites.
This error often occurs just with an URL or all websites. It’s pre-fixed with heading such as the site can’t be reached, or the Web page is not available. You will then be given three quick methods to fix this error.
- Check the connection
- Check the proxy and the firewall
- Run Windows Network Diagnostics
These are only the limited solutions and it is not a complete workaround.
What does Err_Connection_Timed_Out mean?
It is a fatal communication failure between your browser and server. It might display the following things on the screen:
- Server not responding in time.
- No response from the server.
- Failed to establish a connection.
- No internet access.
- The server can’t process your request.
- Internet connection is limited.
How To Fix Err Connection Timed Out error in Google Chrome
Here are some methods to fix Err_Connection_Timed_Out error.
- Clear Google Chrome’s browsing data
Clearing Google Chrome’s browsing data can help you remove the cache and cookie relating the issues. Here are steps to clear Chrome’s browsing data.
- Open Chrome browser and enter chrome://settings/clearBrowserDatain the address bar.
- Choose Advanced tab
- Now, change time range to “All time“.
- Check all the options
- Select “Clear Data.” Done
- Reset profile settings
Resetting profile settings is the second method to fix the issue. Signing in your Google account on multiple browsers is the root of this issue. To solve this conflict, you need to reset your profile settings in Google Chrome. To do so:
- Type chrome://settings/resetProfileSettings?origin=userclick in Chrome’s address bar.
- Select RESET button to reset your Google Chrome settings
- Detect Settings in Internet Options
Sometimes, detecting settings in Internet options can help you get a proper connection to your ISP. Using proxies might come with the impact on accessing your favorite sites. Here is how to enable automatically detect settings in Internet options on your computer.
- Press Windows+R keys, and enter cpl.
- Move to Connections tab
- Choose LAN Settings
- Select Automatically detect settings
- Unblock IP from Windows hosts file
Unblocking the blocked IP solution is widely used to resolve the above problem. Since you are blocked the certainly restricted websites via hosts file. If the website you usually access is in the blocked category, then the err_connection_timed_out error will appear just until you unblock the website. Here is how you can unblock the websites or IP from windows hosts file.
- Launch Notepad
- Go to File -> Open
- Head to C: Drive -> Windows -> System32 -> drivers -> etc -> hosts.
- From there, check that there is no IP address presenting after “# 127.0.0.1 localhost # ::1 localhost”. If have, delete them and then save the file.
- Turn off the firewall
Another method to solve the err_connection_timed_out error in most cases is disabling the firewall. If you use your personal network, just turn it off. In case it’s an educational institution or for educational purpose, you should not do this.
Also read: How to Fix Windows 10 Taskbar Not Working
- Turn off the Antivirus
Disabling the antivirus program is the easiest method you can do to overcome the error. However, you should be careful as your computer might be vulnerable to the security threats. Once you have resolved the err connection timed out error, remember to turn on the antivirus.
- Use Google DNS
Changing Google’s DNS is also a preferable technique if you are facing the err_connection_timed_out issue. Here are steps to change Google’s DNS in the ipv4 config.
- Open Internet settings > choose Properties
- Click on IPV4 > Properties
- Choose Use the following DNS options and enter the following DNS addresses: 8.8.8 and 22.214.171.124
- Update Network Drivers
Updating Network Drivers frequently helps in staying out of driver related issues. All you need to do is navigating to device manager and updating the network driver. Here is the step by step guide to update network drivers in Windows.
- Look for “Device Manager”
- Go to Network Drivers section
- Right-click on the current network driver
- Click on “Update Driver” and wait until it finishes.
- Use Chrome’s Alternatives
You can try using a different browser to visit the same URL. It’s also a simple way to solve err_connection_timed_out. Try other browsers such as IE or Firefox to access your required URL and then check the result.
- Use different platform (Mac/Windows/Android/iOS)
You can try using a different platform to temporarily help you fix the issue. If you have a chance to access Chrome browser on another platform, take advantage of it. It can be a user-friendly Windows, or congenial Android or iOS platform. Just install Chrome browser and access the URL from that device.
- Use System Restore
Using system restore might be the last resort in case your computer is infected with malware, which is causing the err_connection_timed_out error. Restore the system the previous point to get rid of this error. Here are steps to perform a system restore.
- Look for “Create a restore point” in windows search
- Next, click “System Restore“
- Choose “Next” in the system restore wizard
- Select a previous system restore point, which works properly.
- Click Scan to know the list of programs affected by the system restoration.
- Finally, click on “Next” and then “Finish” to starts restoring your computer to the previous point.
These are popular methods to fix the err_connection_timed_out error. Your patience is highly appreciated. If the issue still remains after trying all mentioned methods, let’s know in the comments section, we’ll find out solutions to you.